Emergency Preparedness / Safety Coordinator
BW Gold is a wholly owned subsidiary of Artemis Gold Inc (“Artemis”). Artemis is listed on the TSX Venture exchange, and is a well-financed, growth-oriented gold development company with strong financials aimed at creating shareholder value through the identification, acquisition, and development of gold properties in mining friendly jurisdictions. Our current focus is construction of the Blackwater Mine in central British Columbia approximately 160km southwest of Prince George and 450km northeast of Vancouver.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to join an entrepreneurial organization focused on technical excellence without the bureaucracy of larger firms. You will have the ability to make a significant contribution to the project team as the Company pursues the disciplined development of the Blackwater Mine. Blackwater Mine received its BC Mines Act permit in March, 2023, its environmental assessment approvals in 2019, and will begin major works construction in Q1, 2023.
Our Mine Emergency Preparedness/Safety Coordinator will join a dedicated Health and Safety team. Reporting to the Health and Safety Superintendent, your role will develop, implement, and maintain required training for the site Mine Rescue Team. You will also ensure that all new employees, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and visitors receive the required safety training upon their induction / orientation to the company.
Location: Blackwater Mine site. The Blackwater Project is 160km Southwest of Prince George, BC.
Schedule: Two (2) Weeks On – Two (2) Weeks Off Rotation
Employment Type: Fixed Term
Term End Date: December 31, 2024
Scope of Responsibilities
- Ensuring own Health & Safety as well as that of all other workers, identifying and maintaining safe work practices and completing all required safety training.
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining required training for the site Mine Rescue Team, creation of a Credible Threat Risk Register, and owner of the MERP.
- Oversee Mine Recue call outs and assist as requested / needed.
- Assist with Mine Rescue site coverage as needed.
- Maintenance of Mine Rescue equipment in order to keep Mine Rescue on a capable level for the site risks.
- Developing, maintaining, & introducing safety awareness short courses and any associated safety training as required.
- Maintaining personnel health and safety training records including but not limited to training-matrix status, training competency assessments, and training schedules.
- Review and update Confined Space assessments, entry requirements, and rescue plans.
- Assisting with the safe introduction of new equipment and processes and develop corresponding training modules, materials & procedures, this is on an as requested and authorized basis.
- Ensuring that all new employees, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and visitors receive the required and needed safety training upon their induction / orientation to the company.
- Maintenance and upkeep of the overall site Emergency Response plan, including the monthly inspections of life saving equipment, AED’s, fire extinguishers, emergency showers / eye wash stations, etc.
Qualifications & Experience
- At least 5 years relevant Safety related training experience required.
- First Aid accreditation and Emergency Response team experience.
- ACP Certification would be highly valued but not required.
- Practical, hands-on experience with personal protective devices and equipment.
- An understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and loss control.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation, and consultation skills.
- Fire Fighter/First Responder / NFPA training (or equivalent) would be an asset.
- Experience working with the Incident Command System
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision in a fast paced, demanding setting.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Post-Secondary degree in a safety related discipline considered an asset.
- A valid driver's license.
How to Apply:
We ask that qualified candidates submit their resumes to [email protected] with Emergency Preparedness / Safety Coordinator in the subject line of their email.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, religion, national origin, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, or any other basis protected by law. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples. Members of Indigenous communities should clearly identify their status on their resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.Apply Now